|The protection of privacy on the Internet is gradually coming to the fore. Some want to hide their digital footprint, others can not access a certain resource blocked in the territory of a particular country. Despite the sufficient variability of methods of disguise, the most popular were two specialized technologies - Proxy and VPN. Each of them is characterized by its own unique features, which will be discussed in this article.|
Proxy Servers: Features
The proxy acts as an intermediary between the remote server receiving the request and the user\'s device attempting to gain access. As a rule, Proxy masks the real IP address of its user. In order to connect to the network, an anonymous network identifier is used here.
A distinctive feature of Proxy is the lack of encryption of data that is transmitted over the Internet. Since this method provides a relatively small degree of security, everyone has the opportunity to inspect the traffic that passes through the connection.
Advantages of using Proxy
1. Hide the user\'s real IP address.
2. Increased protection when moving to a malicious website, as network data is subject to careful filtering.
3. The ability to access content blocked on a geographical basis, as a rule, when using proxies of other states.
4. Efficiency in implementing the bypass of various web restrictions.
5. Reduced time required to load the website.
6. Increased privacy when browsing the Internet regularly.
Disadvantages of using Proxy
1. The vast majority of proxy services do not use encryption technology, which results in an increased risk of network data interception.
2. The owner of the proxy server can get acquainted with the real IP-addresses of users, follow the confidential data.
3. The connection, presented in the form of a public proxy server, often becomes unstable due to the large number of connected users.
4. Certain websites may block the proxy.
5. Software servers, which are provided free of charge, often have a low level of reliability.
VPN involves the creation of a private secure channel between devices connected to the Internet. When connecting any user device to a VPN, be it a smartphone, tablet, personal computer, network traffic falls into a secure tunnel. Thanks to this approach, even the Internet provider will not be able to get acquainted with the transmitted data, banking information and other actions performed within the framework of web surfing.
All data that gets into the VPN is subject to pre-encryption. The information is then retrieved by the ISP. Ultimately, the information is processed by a VPN server connected to the Internet on behalf of the user. This leads to the fact that the site regards the VPN server as a source of traffic.
Pay attention! The Internet provider will not be able to track activity, collect information about users. All he will see is the fact of synchronization with the VPN server.
A virtual private network (VPN) has the following characteristics:
1. Network traffic is carefully encrypted.
2. The user has the opportunity to visit the site, access to which is limited by geography.
3. High level of confidentiality due to the substitution of the real IP-address.
4. Many VPN services are available to ordinary users without the need to pay for their services.
5. Ability to securely use public wireless access points to the Internet.
6. No additional configuration is required. All you need is to download a special application to your mobile device.
VPN technology, compared to Proxy, is more expensive, as it uses encryption. Free services, although they provide their services, but they have to intentionally reduce the speed of data transfer.
Importantly! To remove restrictions, free VPN services offer their users to subscribe to a paid tariff plan.
Proxy or VPN: the main difference
Both proxy servers and virtual private networks (VPNs) provide quick access to the Internet sites of interest to the user, hiding his real IP address and location. These are the only similarities.
The main difference between a Proxy and a VPN is that a virtual private network uses encryption. With its help, all traffic is pre-encrypted from everyone, including the Internet provider.
A proxy server, in turn, is a fairly simple tool for periodic use at high speed. However, a VPN is noticeably better in terms of privacy. This is primarily due to the fact that a secure tunnel protects the integrity of traffic, encrypts it, and simplifies authentication.
After connecting a proxy or VPN, check your new IP address and location, these data should be different from the original, without using services. You can quickly check, for example, in the search engine to find "check the speed of the Internet", they show this data.
Recently Spotted Members
No members found. Be the first